South Jordan Alimony Attorneys

Providing Efficient & Skilled Family Law Representation

Alimony payment

Alimony, also known as spousal support, can be a contested issue in a divorce. Whether you are seeking alimony or contesting it, you will need the trusted legal counsel of a family attorney who is well-versed in the laws regarding this matter as well as how it is handled in the local courts.

At Carr | Woodall, our South Jordan alimony lawyers have been handling divorce issues for well over a decade and can aggressively represent you at the negotiation or mediation table as well as in the courtroom. Our goal is to help you achieve your legal objectives while providing sound advice based on your marital and financial history.

Contact us at (801) 988-9400 for a consultation regarding your alimony issue. 

5-Star reviews

The Opinions That Matter Most

  • Without his strong closing argument, I doubt I would have won a fair and equitable settlement.

    Paul D.
  • Brad was excellent and got the issue taken care of quickly.

    Melissa B.
  • Camille went above and beyond for me.

    Maija M.

Do You Have to Pay Alimony in Utah?

In Utah, either spouse may request and be awarded alimony. In a pending divorce, temporary alimony may be granted, which may continue or be discontinued once the divorce is final. Typically, alimony is addressed after the distribution of marital property and debts are decided by the court. At that point, the court has a more thorough understanding of the financial conditions of the spouses as well as the standard of living they enjoyed while married.

The types of alimony that may be granted include:

  • Temporary alimony while the divorce is being decided
  • Temporary alimony after the divorce has been finalized to help a spouse transition into being single and gain the necessary training, education, or skills to become self-sufficient
  • Long-term or lifetime alimony awarded in cases of lengthy marriages or where one party has substantial financial needs

How is Alimony Calculated in Utah?

Alimony is decided on a case-by-case basis and is awarded at the discretion of the court after reviewing many factors.

Factors that the court may assess in determining alimony include:

  • The paying spouse’s financial ability to provide it
  • Each spouse’s earning capacity
  • The length of the marriage
  • The custody arrangements
  • The standard of living enjoyed during the marriage
  • Whether one spouse contributed to the other’s training, education, or work skills

Once alimony has been awarded, you may seek modifications through the courts when a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.

What Happens if You Can't Pay Alimony?

If you have been ordered to pay alimony and fail to do so, the recipient spouse may file a motion requesting the court to enforce the alimony order, which could result in a judgement for past-due alimony. The court may also find you in contempt of court and order you to pay a fine or serve time in jail.

To discuss your alimony case, contact Carr | Woodall for a consultation at (801) 988-9400.

Our Values What Our Work Means
  • Family Law Is What We Do Best

    Divorce is one of the most stressful transitions couples and families can experience. Having a knowledgeable, experienced advocate on your side can minimize conflict, streamline the process, and help you resolve complex issues.

  • We Are Accessible 24/7

    We are committed to being open & accessible to all our clients. Our willingness to be available and field your questions sets us apart from the competition and will directly contribute to your peace of mind throughout your legal matter.

  • You Are Our Number One Focus

    For us, it’s not about the bottom line. It’s about you. When you come to Carr Woodall for help in your family legal matter, you can move forward with confidence knowing that we are defending your best interests.

Consultations Available Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (801) 988-9400.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Connect With Us
1309 W. South Jordan Parkway,
Suite 200,
South Jordan, UT 84095
(801) 988-9400 Maps & Directions