South Jordan Utah Immigration Attorney

South Jordan Immigration Attorneys

Personable and Efficient Legal Counsel in Utah

Carr | Woodall provides individualized and thorough legal representation to individuals and families looking to lawfully live and work in the US.

Our attorneys have almost 100 years of combined experience and they make sure to keep up with any legal and policy changes implemented by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS.

We recommend that you seek legal advice as soon as you can during your immigration process, but it is never too late to reach out to us.

Our lawyers will work with you and your family to help you achieve your immigration goals.

Schedule a Consultation Today!

At Carr | Woodall, we are dedicated to helping you succeed in your immigration journey. No matter your situation, we can find the appropriate visa to apply for, so you can lawfully work and live in the United States. If you need trustworthy representation to appeal USCIS decisions or are even facing deportation, our attorneys will work with you to build your case and can represent you in and outside of court. We stay up to date with the ever-changing immigration laws, so we can handle every aspect of your immigration process. Our lawyers are committed to helping you accomplish your immigration goals.

Contact our South Jordan lawyers today at (801) 988-9400 to schedule a consultation to get started on your immigration case!

5-Star reviews

The Opinions That Matter Most

  • "Great law firm! Highly recommend."
    Giovanna M.
  • "Spencer has been so helpful to put a child support modification to rest that's been dragged out way too long. He's knowledgeable and helps you know what your rights are."
    Kristen V.
  • Smart, savvy and sympathetic.

    Tiffany H.

Employment-Based Visas

USCIS offers temporary, also known as nonimmigrant, work visas, and immigrant work visas. Regardless of which category you are applying for, your employer usually has to act as your sponsor and provide proof that you are the adequate candidate for the position.

Temporary work visas cover a broad range of occupations, including nurses, agricultural workers, investors, representatives of foreign information media, athletes, performers, and religious workers. A widely known category is the HB-1 visa that specialty workers can apply for.

To apply for an HB-1 visa, the position you are hired for usually requires:

  • Theoretical and practical application of specialized skills and knowledge
  • A bachelor's or higher degree in a field related to the job duties
  • The educational requirement is common in the industry in similar positions

As such, the applicant must hold the required US degree or its foreign equivalent, as well as any unrestricted license, certification, or registration to perform their job duties if applicable.

USCIS recognizes five employment-based immigrant visas:

  • First Preference EB-1 for outstanding scientists, artists, educators, business executives, and athletes.
  • Second Preference EB-2 for professionals with advanced degrees or abilities in the arts, sciences, or business
  • Third Preference EB-3 for other professionals, skilled workers, and other workers
  • Fourth Preference EB-4 for “special immigrants” like specific religious workers, retired members of international organizations, employees of US foreign services
  • Fifth Preference EB-5 for specific business investors

If you currently live in the US on a nonimmigrant visa that does not include employment authorization, you usually have two options. You can request a change of status for a classification that allows you to work in the US, or you may also apply for an adjustment of status to lawful permanent residency. Depending on which path you pursue, you may need a qualified sponsor, possibly a US employer, to submit a petition so you can move forward with your visa application.

Family-Based Visas

US citizens can petition for the following relatives to become lawful permanent residents:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Sons and daughters over 21
  • Parents if the petitioner is over 21
  • Siblings if the petitioner is over 21

If you are a US citizen, you can also petition to bring a non-American fiancé who currently lives abroad with a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, also known as a Fiancé visa. Similarly, you can bring a foreign spouse and their unmarried children under 21 to the US with K-3 and K-4 nonimmigrant visas.

Our immigration attorneys at Carr | Woodall can also assist US citizens who adopt internationally to lawfully bring their child to the US.

Other Types Visas

Dedicated legal representation can make a positive difference when you are applying for refugee or asylum status. USCIS defines an asylee as someone who requests asylum when already in the US, and a refugee as someone requesting protection while still abroad.

USCIS recognizes additional categories of individuals eligible to apply for a green card. Many of those take severe hardships into account and help certain survivors of war, trafficking, crime, and domestic abuse become lawful US permanent residents.

Other statuses eligible for a green card include:

  • Asylees
  • Refugees
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitioner
  • U visas for victims of certain crimes
  • T visas for victims of human trafficking

To learn more about our legal immigration services in Utah, call Carr | Woodall today at (801) 988-9400 or fill out our online form.

Our Values What Our Work Means
  • Family Law Is What We Do Best

    Divorce is one of the most stressful transitions couples and families can experience. Having a knowledgeable, experienced advocate on your side can minimize conflict, streamline the process, and help you resolve complex issues.

  • We Are Accessible 24/7

    We are committed to being open & accessible to all our clients. Our willingness to be available and field your questions sets us apart from the competition and will directly contribute to your peace of mind throughout your legal matter.

  • You Are Our Number One Focus

    For us, it’s not about the bottom line. It’s about you. When you come to Carr Woodall for help in your family legal matter, you can move forward with confidence knowing that we are defending your best interests.

Consultations Available Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (801) 988-9400.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Connect With Us
1309 W. South Jordan Parkway,
Suite 200,
South Jordan, UT 84095
(801) 988-9400 Maps & Directions
Helpful Links