South Jordan Estate Planning Lawyers
Experienced & Trusted Legal Representation in Utah
Estate planning is the process of directing the management and disposition of your property upon your death or in the event that you are incapacitated. This requires a careful analysis of your assets, your property, and your loved ones. Done correctly, estate planning can minimize the expense and burden to your family and prevent disagreements among family members.
Planning for your future is not the time to hire an attorney who dabbles in estate planning or advises everyone to have (and pay for) a pre-packaged estate plan. Our South Jordan estate planning attorneys at Carr | Woodall have extensive experience helping Utah families prepare for what’s ahead. We welcome the opportunity to share our experience and skill in assisting you with this very important matter.
Strategically Employing Estate Planning Tools
When it comes to planning your estate, there are several ways you can assert your legacy and ensure that your wishes are carried out should you pass away or become incapacitated.
We can help you implement estate planning tools, including:
- Wills, both standard and living wills. A last will and testament takes effect upon your death while a living will takes effect while you are still alive.
- Trusts, both irrevocable and revocable. A living trust is revocable, meaning that its terms can be altered at any time. Irrevocable trusts cannot be changed once they have been created unless you get consent from all beneficiaries and include life insurance trusts and irrevocable gift trusts.
- Durable and non-durable powers of attorney. A durable power of attorney allows your agent or attorney-in-fact to act on your behalf if you are not mentally competent or physically able to make decisions. You choose the person to be your agent and you choose how broad or narrow that person’s authority will be.
- Wealth transfers. You have worked hard to accumulate your wealth, and you should be the one who decides how it is passed on. The protection and transfer of your wealth can be achieved through various strategies, such as wills, trusts, powers of attorney, simple gifts, life insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, IRA conversions, charitable trusts, and family limited partnerships.
- Guardianships and conservatorships. Guardianships are created for those who cannot legally care for themselves, such as minors, the elderly, or the disabled. These individuals are called wards. A guardian deals with the personal care of the ward. A conservator (also referred to as a guardian of the estate) manages the financial affairs of the ward.
Take Advantage of Our Experience & Efficiency
Every estate plan requires thoughtful consideration. A good estate planning attorney will save you and your loved ones a lot of trouble and can provide significant value.
Whether you simply need a will or a comprehensive estate plan, Carr | Woodall can help. Our South Jordan estate planning attorneys offer cost-effective solutions to ensure that your loved ones don’t need to worry about loose ends and expenses upon your death or incapacity.
Call (801) 988-9400 to arrange a free initial consultation.
Family Law Is What We Do Best
Divorce is one of the most stressful transitions couples and families can experience. Having a knowledgeable, experienced advocate on your side can minimize conflict, streamline the process, and help you resolve complex issues.
We Are Accessible 24/7
At Carr Woodall, we are committed to being open and accessible to all our clients. Our willingness to be available and field your questions sets us apart from the competition and will directly contribute to your peace of mind throughout your legal matter.
You Are Our Number One Focus
For us, it’s not about the bottom line. It’s about you. When you come to Carr Woodall for help in your family legal matter, you can move forward with confidence knowing that we are defending your best interests.
Skillful Representation at a Fair Price
We make every effort to ensure our fees are reasonable for the work we do. We make sure you know what you’re getting into by providing honest, accurate estimates and affordable rates.